Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Yet another book meme

I picked this up from Hot Carmel Sundae:

1. One book that changed your life
Tuesdays with Morrie, but not for the reasons you might think; reading this book helped me end an unhealthy relationship more than cement one similar to the way Morrie and Mitch revisted their past together. I had a mentor in college that I admired and slaved for in ways that might make you scratch your head (have you picked up goose poop for a professor?), but when I wrote to him expressing my sincere thanks for his guidance and concern for me as an undergraduate, and my desire to continue such a close relationship with him, he never even bothered to reply. While devastated initially, I realized that his not replying helped me see how I improperly latched onto him and his scholarship.

2. One book you have read more than once
Lloyd Alexander's The High King; the simple tale of Taran, assistant pig keeper, and his journey of self-discovery. The last of the Chronicles of Pyrain books, The High King is a fabulous addition to the canon of children's literature. I first read it in middle school, have done so countless times, and actually picked it up yesterday for breakfast reading.

3. One book you would want with you on a desert island
The Bible - I'd need inspiration if my only companion was a volleyball.

4. One book that made you laugh
The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul, by Douglas Adams. Oh, how I love Dirk Gently.

5. One book that made you cry
Les Miserables; I cried for the last 100 pages....straight. In front of my parents. In the living room. When I was 16.

6. One book you wish you had written
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis - My first experience with fantasy novels as a child, and I wanted nothing more in life than to find a world hidden in a chest of drawers or a closet. Sometimes, still, when I open a closet, I hope for a cold breeze and the glimpse of a lantern in the distance.

7. One book you wish had never been written
The DaVinci Code, and not because I'm some right-wing fanatic that thinks all readers are destined for hell, but because there are way too many people who have done way too little research, with no historical or theological training, who think elements of this book are real. It's found in the fiction section of your library for a reason, folks; it's not a true story. P.S. I actually enjoyed the story and the book, though I feel his writing style leaves a little something to be desired; it was a page turning read!

8. One book you are currently reading
A Simple Story, by S.Y. Agnon

9. One book you've been meaning to read
The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary, by Anne Catherine Emmerich - I started it, but never finished. The work is a compilation of Anne Catherine Emmerich's visions about the life of the Blessed Virgin.

Now, I'm not tagging any of you, but feel free to play and link back here!

 
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »