Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Reflection and Random Photograph

Today's random photograph is: Shiloh at rest. Life can be so difficult at times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I read this the other day, in 1 Samuel, 19 - 21

As a result, all the people dreaded the Lord and Samuel. They said to Samuel, "Pray to the Lord your God for us, your servants, that we may not die for having added to all our other sins the evil of asking for a king." "Do not fear," Samuel answered them. "It is true you have committed all this evil; still, you must not turn from the Lord, but must worship him with your whole heart. Do not turn to meaningless idols which can neither profit nor save; they are nothing."

I know the dread felt by the Israelites in this passage. All too often I choose paths of darkness, lonliness, anger, fear, pride, selfishness, and I turn to material goods, lust, greed, rationailzations, work, my idols for salvation - anything to keep me from examining my character.

Do you do this, too? When you stumble down rock-strewn paths, do you reach for everything else for support, instead of stopping to think why you chose the wrong path?

For me, faith in God straightens my path and makes clear the way, but perhaps for you it is time alone, or in nature. Maybe you write, or reflect in silence or over the daily newspaper.

Find that time - do what it takes to lay your character bare and straighten the path. Humility is our guide in difficult times - look for help in what we know to be true - not in fleeting and false idols!

 
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »