Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Tuesday Two

The Tuesday Two from Patrick's Place:

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC:    PREMARTIAL SEX

QUESTION A:
Do you think that sex before marriage is ever acceptable?

or

QUESTION B:
If your kids should ask your thoughts on premarital sex, would you feed the need to "fudge" your answer so they wouldn't find out that you didn't follow your own advice?
~~~~

I am going to answer Question A:
While I have had pre-marital sex, this is my philosophy (be forewarned, while my journal is ecumenical, this is a personal response and therefore adheres to my private faith):

We are created to love. Ultimate, fulfilled love, the way it was intended is in marriage. To love fully, to love completely in marriage is to bind your soul to another, and to God, and in effect agree to share everything with them. This includes your body. Sex is the act of giving your physical self completely to another and it allows us and God to participate in the miracle of life.

Sex outside the context of marriage, while fun, makes a mockery of what sex truly is. Why would we want anything less than true fulfillment? Why do we desire anything other than a complete unconditional giving of ourselves to another person, as God ordained? Selfishness is the answer. True love is unconditional. It fuliflls, and sex is the expression of that love. To be truly unconditional and truly fulfilled, we need the marriage state - anything less is a selfish sham we use to satisfy our fears, hopes, and lusts.

Did I do it? Of course I did. I wanted that more than I wanted marriage. Does that make me evil? No, it makes me human. And, given that I'm loved unconditionally by God, I'm alright with being human if I realize now what the ideal is, and that it's worth promoting and keeping. That doesn't mean I have to beat myself up over my human choices. I mean, come on, sex is glorious!

 
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »